Day Eight – The Return Home
Again, I would like to give the advice I mentioned on the first day of this trip regarding luggage. Go with the larger suitcase that is not packed completely full over a smaller suitcase that is jam packed. It doesn’t weigh less because the suitcase is smaller, and the larger, less full suitcase allows room for items that were accumulated during the trip. Items like the Padres souvenir cup that was purchased and left sitting under my seat at the ball game (idiot!).
For those who have not been to the
The flight home was long, but survivable. I did come to one realization that anyone who has flown will understand, and that is the fact that it is impossible to sleep comfortably on a plane. No matter what I did, I could not completely fall asleep. When I did, I would wake up with my head tilted in some awkward position that made my neck hurt. Not only that, but I had the constant fear that being in one of those awkward positions would lead to sleeping with my mouth open and drooling. Therefore, I did everything I could to keep from falling asleep, despite my tiredness, just to make sure I didn’t embarrass myself. After landing in
As I got home from the trip, there were several things that stood out in my mind as having noticed during my week long venture.
Strollers and Kids
Isn’t there an age or size limit on when kids are too old for a stroller? I saw so many parents pushing around a stroller with kids who were way too old/big to be in a stroller. Make the kid walk for crying out loud. No wonder American society is getting fatter and lazier. I realize the zoo and Sea World are exemptions to some of this, especially those kids at the border line age/size, and getting tired with all the walking in those places. I’m talking about other areas though, like around the hotel and shopping areas. When there’s a 9 or 10-year old kid in a stroller, I think that’s a bit much.
Stroller SizesS
Speaking of strollers, what is up with these SUV type strollers now days? Why is it a stroller has to be twice as big as the 6 year old kid riding in it? Some of these strollers were bigger than my car. Not only does this seem ridiculous, but it does nothing but get in the way as these idiot parents push these gigantic strollers in crowded places and bump into everyone around. These must be the same parents with the giant SUV who bang into things in parking lots.
Overweight People
This is a touchy subject for some, but I noticed a lot of overweight people walking around. Sadly, most of them were others at my conference and in my profession. It made me wonder though, with all the walking I did to see all the sites, how could these people weighting 300-plus pounds, or even the short, dumpy people, move around without getting exhausted? I saw numerous overweight people who were stopped and sitting and breathing heavily after a five-minute walk. This cannot be healthy. I felt kind of bad for some of them, as I realized that there was no way they could have seen and done all the things I did without spending an extra $100 on cab fares to get everywhere – like 10 blocks down the street. It also came to my attention at the Padres game, wondering how the 300-pound woman next to me managed to squeeze into that seat. It couldn’t have been comfortable to sit there for three hours.
Airports Good for People Watching
I think airports have to be one of the best places in the world to people watch. I spent an hour in the
Cell Phones are Killing Politeness and Manners
This is something I have noticed for a while now, but it was very apparent during this trip for some reason, and that is the rudeness that cell phones have brought into our society. I’m not going to say cell phones are evil, I tend to like mine very much. However, I think that some people should have their cell phone privileges revoked until they learn some common manners. The list of violations are many and not worth going into detail about, that will come in a later post at some other time. I’ll just say that cell phones seem to be the cause of a lot of rudeness in society, and it appears to be getting worse.
1 comment:
Post a Comment